L.O.B. vs MZF – Keep Playin’

Keep Playin'
The latest third-person account of my weekly attempt to play eight-a-side football – we wear grey… Keep playin’

To be honest, things didn’t look good for the Greys tonight; half the team was in makeshift grey(ish) t-shirts and the opposition were in mismatched white. It looked like some kind of prison yard game, or the match that gave birth to the bib. But it didn’t seem to affect play, as both teams looked bright despite the cold, dewy conditions. Minus a few slips.

It was the final game of the season, and playing in mostly white, MZF made the first move. Two fast-footed strikers terrorised the Greys defence, but Pat, Theo and Koyes did well to deny them a clear shot on goal.

Meanwhile, new Greys signings Ahmed and Ollie looked lively up front and it didn’t take long for them to make an impact. Just over 10 minutes into the game, Ollie picked up the ball on the left wing and knocked a quick cross in towards Ahmed, who got to the ball first and headed it past the helpless keeper.

After that it was all one way traffic for a while. Holding the ball up well in midfield and spreading the play, the Greys looked fast, creative and dangerous. But mostly, they looked like a team. In fact, MZF’s keeper kept them in the game, really, pushing a curling back-post shot from Manu wide and diving left to brush a long-range whack from Adam into the side netting.

Early in the second half the ball dropped nicely for Ollie way outside the box on the left and he didn’t think twice about smashing an outrageous volley past a stunned-looking MZF keeper. The Greys continued to attack, and for a minute it looked like they’d win five, six nil. Ollie’s long throw-ins made a real difference.

But suddenly things changed; the Greys defence parted like the Red Sea and an MZF striker broke through the middle. Making the most of his gifted chance he struck an emphatic, top-right shot past Greys keeper Yusuf and brought MZF back into the game at 2-1.

After that something changed and play was limited to the Greys’ side of the field – well, box mostly. But resiliently, they weathered the storm thanks to a combination of dogged defending and defiant goalkeeping. In the end, the sound of the final whistle was like the opening scene of The Flintstones. Job done. Exhale…

*NOTE: I didn’t write up last week’s 2-1 win against St. Bids – so that’s two wins in a row now. Yabba dabba doo!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s